Annabella listlessly pages through the special Wednesday edition of “Workplace” . She’s decided to stay in Bridgeport for a while and sell the house in Twinbrook. But the house needs a lot of work. God knows who would be interested in spending money on that place “as is” and to get a clearance certificate from the Council the overdue municipality bills will have to be settled first. She needs a job. And fast. With her limited experience and thanks to taking care of her mother until she finally died she never really had a chance to pursue a career. Prospects of finding a proper were slim. She knew that very well.
She jumped when the phone rang, interrupting her bleak thoughts. “Who would that be? No one knows where I live.” She mumbled to herself. Probably the Hotel Manager again after his rent the little voice in her head continued What will you tell him this time? She could feel her anxiety grow. Her heart pounded rapidly in her chest.
“Hello” she answers trying to sound as confident as possible.
“Well, hello Annabella.” A familiar voice on the other side of the line speaks and her heart flutters at the sound of it.
“Chris! How did …… where did you …. How did you get this number” she finally manages.
I don’t even know this number she thought to herself.
“Hmmmm. You didn’t think I was letting you off the hook so easily did you?” she could almost hear him smiling on the other end of the line and couldn’t resist smiling as well.
But she tried to remain as serious as possible when she continued
“Seriously. Are you stalking me? Because if you are …. Well, that’s just creepy.”
He lets out a relaxed chuckle.
“Relax my sultry princess. I did nothing of the sort. Your apartment key fell out of your pocket when I folded your clothes and the key-tag had the name of your hotel and room number printed on it in big bold letters. It was hard to miss. I’ve had far too many temptations in the last couple of hours. I’m fresh out out of resistance and when you didn’t find me as you promised me you would I thought I’d take the initiative and rather find you.”
She laughed heartily at his explanation and relaxed instantly.
“I had to find out if you arrived home safely. I hated leaving you to your own devices. I don’t usually ….” He continued more seriously.
“I’m a grown woman. I can take care of myself” she interrupts tersely.
“I didn’t mean to offend you Annabella.”
She immediately felt guilty for being so defensive.
“You didn’t offend me. I’m grateful that you called to check up on me” she says quickly.
“Oh but that’s not the only reason why I called” the smile back in his voice “I think now that you know where I live … and I know where you live, we can take this relationship to the next level..”
“Relationship?” she replies amused.
“hmmm. Perhaps a too strong a word at this stage. Let’s try and be a bit more subtle. I fear if I’m not -you will run for the hills and I will completely lose any chance I may have to see that shapely derriere of yours again.
What I meant to say was …. friendship. We should take this friendship to the next level.”
“How do you know …… ?” she stopped mid-sentence and could feel herself blushing.
“You’re blushing again, aren’t you?”
The effect this man has on her is humiliating. Annabella, get a grip! she scolded herself mentally.
“Anyway, as I was saying … we should take our … friendship ….. to the next level. I’ll pick you up at 7 on Saturday evening. I’m taking you out to dinner and then we’re going dancing in one of Bridgeport’s more classier establishments. Black tie. Mmmm can’t wait to see what you look like in a sexy little black number. No wait. There it is. Now I won’t be able to get that vision out of my head for the rest of the day. I will have to take you to lunch today. Saturday simply seems too far away.”
Annabella was dumbstruck, a part of her wanted to strangle him when she sees him again and the other wanted to start giggling like a little school girl.
“Are you nodding?”
She realises she didn’t answer him and quickly says “yes” and mentally starts to kick herself for replying so over-enthusiastically … and then quickly corrects herself. “I mean, I’d love to go to dinner with you on Saturday, but today lunch is out of the question. I’m job-hunting and have no idea where I’ll be around that time.”
“Seven it is then” he sounds disappointed“…. and by the way, I think you’re adorable when you’re blushing.”
Annabella was smiling from ear to ear. I have nothing to wear she realised and the smile faded slightly, but nothing could completely wipe the grin off her face – she felt alive for the first time in ages.
….
Annabella looks around the room nervously. She’s never been to an interview before so it would be inaccurate to say that she hates interviews, but what she CAN say with absolute certainty is that she’s never felt this nervous in her life.
She was going to be a nurse, but between taking care of her mother and working in bars to make ends meet, she had to kiss that dream goodbye. And then she was going to teach English, but for the same reasons that dream never materialized either. She never considered a career as a typist or a secretary. She’s not even sure she qualifies to be one. But here she is. The ad was for an “office administrator”. Exactly how qualified do you have to be to do admin stuff? It was worth a shot. And the salary is not bad.
The air-conditioned office was tastefully furnished. A large mirror strategically placed on one of the walls, which makes the room look slightly bigger. The remaining walls were dripping with artwork that probably cost an arm and a leg. From where she was sitting, she could smell the leather upholstery of the high-back chair behind the work-desk. She was surrounded by the best things money can buy.
The door opens and she stands up to greet her interviewer, adamant to make a good first impression. Her jaw dropped when she realized who it was and knew that even if they miraculously offered the position to her she could never work here.
From the expression on her face Annabella could tell Shauna was equally surprised, but she recovered quickly and ended the uncomfortable silence by reaching out her hand to Annabella.
“Forgive my rudeness Annabella. Reading your name on the interview list …. I didn’t realize it was you. Please, have a seat” she says pointing to one of the chairs.
Shauna takes a seat on the leather high-back chair behind the work-desk.
“Have you been offered something to drink” she asks politely.
“Yes. Thank you. I didn’t want anything” her mouth was dry suddenly and now she regrets not accepting the offer.
“I’ve had a look at your CV and it appears you don’t have any relevant experience” she says “Neither do you have any qualifications apart from your High School Diploma. Tell me, how many words per minute do you type?”
“I’m not sure. I’ve never really thought of timing myself while I type. I guess …. quite a lot.” She answered genuinely.
Shauna is silent for a moment and the serious expression on her face is a hint that the interview is not going well at all.
“I’m not sure how I should interpret your answer Annabella, but from your apparent lack of work experience I’m guessing you’re being perfectly honest. You don’t even have the basic minimum requirements for the position. So, I’m very curious as to what made you apply for it?” Annabella could tell that Shauna was all business now and that made her feel small and silly.
In her mind’s eye she could see herself diving across the table and strangling this perfectly manicured woman. She was jealous of her for being so flawlessly beautiful. She despised her for the mere fact that she is sitting on the other side of the interviewing table and she HATED her for being with the only man that she ever truly loved.
However, she remained outwardly calm and she replied as confidently as she could.
“I’m painfully aware that I don’t have the relevant working experience Ms Daniels. Everyone has to start somewhere to gain experience, to be given an opportunity to prove they can do something. I read the requirements for the job. Quite frankly, I have no idea why a person should have three year’s working experience to do some filing, type a few letters and answer a telephone.” Annabella gets up and reaches her hand out to Shauna. “But I can see I am wasting my own time as well as yours, so I’ll just be on my way then.”
“Please sit down Annabella. There is no need to get defensive. And please, call me Shauna. You are a friend of Graeme’s after all.” Shauna answers calmly and held Annabella’s gaze for a moment. Annabella reluctantly sits back down, surprised at Shauna’s reaction, or rather, lack thereof.
“I’m only acting in the best interests of the Company. I have to exercise due diligence in every decision that I make on behalf of it. You must understand that none of the questions that I ask you is a personal attack, but necessary to fulfill my duties as acting CEO of this Company. I have interviewed many other candidates with far better qualifications, most of them have secretarial diplomas or at least a couple of years’ experience in office administration.”
She looked at Annabella sympathetically.
“I will keep your CV in our personnel file and as soon as a more suitable position becomes available I will contact you. But tell me something …. I see you started with a nursing diploma after school, why didn’t you complete it?”
Annabella felt grim. She knew Shauna was right and that made her dislike her even more.
“I had to take care of my Mother …. and …. I couldn’t afford it anyway. So I dropped out.”
“Would you be interested in pursuing a nursing career if you had the means?”
Annabella nodded. “Yes. But I will never have the means. There is no point in dreaming unrealistic dreams. You only set yourself up for disappointment.”
There was a short silence between the two women and then Shauna leaned back in her chair. She compressed her lips before she continued to speak.
“I know a couple who are currently looking to hire an au pair for their two year old son. Lauren has been ill in the past few months and her husband is a movie director who occasionally is required to travel abroad. Little Adriano is quite a handful and when Seth is away it is difficult for Lauren to keep up with Adriano’s demands. I’m sure even with your limited nursing background you would make a perfect candidate. If you’re interested I could set up an interview for you today.”
Shauna seems perfectly sincere and that makes Annabella feel a little guilty for having such murderous thoughts of her.
“I …… I’m not sure …. I’ve never had to look after a baby before.” She thought about it for a moment. “I suppose, if she’s willing to give me a chance …..” her voice trails off and Annabella wasn’t sure whether she should feel insulted or grateful.
Shauna instructed her personal assistant to get Lauren Vasco on the line for her and it took but a few moments for the telephone on Shauna’s desk to start ringing.
…..
Annabella rang the bell and a woman came to the door. She had shiny red hair and a warm smile, but her face was pale and Annabella remembered Shauna mentioned she had been ill.
The hand she gave Annabella was slender and soft and her nails were neatly trimmed.
“You must be Annabella” she smiled. “Please, come in.”
Annabella followed her into the lounge. The room was light and open and there was a smell of freshly baked cookies hanging in the air. It made Annabella feel all warm and fuzzy inside. She imagined this must be what Christmas should feel like. Except it wasn’t Christmas yet.
“May I offer you a cup of coffee or tea Annabella? “
“I’d love some coffee” Annabella was parched. She’s had nothing to drink before, during or after her interview with Shauna and she could feel a headache coming on. She secretly hopes the coffee will be served with some of those cookies.
She disappeared into the kitchen and came back with a tray of cups filled with coffee. Annabella noticed slightly disappointed that there were no cookies.
“Shauna tells me you started with a nursing diploma?” she asks with a friendly smile.
“Yes. I didn’t complete it though. Would have like to, but circumstances didn’t allow it. It was also so long ago that if I could pursue a nursing career I’d probably have to start all over again.”
“I see.” She paused and studied Annabella for a moment. “Do you live here in Bridgeport?”
“Yes. I’ve rented a self-catering hotel apartment a couple of blocks from here. But I haven’t signed the lease yet. I don’t know if I want to live there much longer.”
“I’m looking for a live-in au pair. We have a fully furnished cottage at the back, where you can move in. You will not be required to pay any Rent, naturally, accommodation will form part of your benefits. I need someone around for Adriano around the clock. Of course you will have most weekends off, but I’ll require you to be very flexible with your time.”
She seems to be considering whether to say more and then the baby began to cry upstairs.
“Looks like the best part of your interview has just started” she said with a smile. “Allow me introduce you to my son”.
Annabella wasn’t sure if this meant she had the job or not.
They went upstairs.
The little boy stops crying when he notices the new unfamiliar face in his room and looks at Annabella curiously.
His mother picks him up from his crib. “There, there my boy. This is your new nanny, Annabella” she talks to him with a soothing voice and hands him over to Annabella. The boy looks at her with his big brown eyes and she expects him to start wailing any moment. He didn’t.
“I think he likes you.” She says smiling at Annabella.
“Seth and I would have loved for him to have a little brother or sister, but I had a very difficult pregnancy and almost died giving birth to Adriano. I’ve had health problems ever since.” She says sadly.
“We simply adore kids. It kills me that I’m not able to have more.”
She looks at her son lovingly and for a moment it seems as if she completely forgot that Annabella was there in the room with them.
“Look, you’ve got the job, if you want it.” She says suddenly. “Bring Adriano downstairs for his dinner if you don’t mind. We can quickly discuss the remaining aspects of your contract while I feed him.”




















Wow. This was so good I was sad to see it come to an end.
ReplyDeleteYou are probably tired of hearing me say this, but I love you writing, and your voice just shines through.
I loved her phone conversation with Chris. She is such a girl, blushing and all tongue tied like that.
For a second when I realized it was Graeme's Shauna I held my breath, thinking there'll be a showdown. I'm glad nothing gastly happened between them. And Shauna seems like such a nice person. And it was kind of her to refer Anna to her friend.
I LOLed at the "Workplace". More and more, I find myself using ZA terms a lot in my writing too.
Yay she got the job. Things are starting to turn around for our Anna and I'm so thrilled.
Amazing chapter, writing and pics wise. Keep going!
Glad things are turning around for her. It was nice of Shauna to help her out with getting a job and I loved the phone call between her and Chris.
ReplyDeleteThe playful flirting was fun and made me smile. Awesome chapter and I am looking forward to seeing how things continue to unfold for her.
I loved seeing Annabella smile. I'm so glad she met a nice guy who is willing to take things slow.
ReplyDeleteI got the wrong first impression of Shauna. That was very kind of her to try to help Annabella get a job that she was more qualified for. When Annabella first met her with Graeme, I thought Shauna was snobby! I guess I was wrong about her!
The baby is so adorable! I can't wait for more!
OMG I am SO in love with Chris!!!! Man that whole telephone conversation had me grinning like a child! He is just AMAZING and wow...I am beyond thrilled for Anna! His sense of humor and charisma...too charming! I wouldn't resist it either but unlike Anna I would have put off job hunting and had lunch!
ReplyDeleteAnnabella feel a little guilty for having such murderous thoughts of her. <--- that made me laugh!!!
I would have wanted to kill that bitch too! The entire time I got the feeling she was looking down her nose at Anna and it made me want to choke that whore! (sorry but I'm being honest). I could LOVED she kept it under control though. Knowing Shauna has the one person you've given your heart to and then having to sit and listen to the same woman berate and demean your life as if you're just the smallest piece of speck of dirt on the grungiest and foulest organism on the planet is not an easy think. The sympathy job thing made it worse to me, Anna needs the work, I get that, but it just seemed like "You suck take this instead!" and I saw myself beating the snot out of that woman.
I'm so happy she got the job, curious how she's friends with Shauna (just can't stand that woman) when she seems so sweet!
I felt really bad for Lauren, heartbreaking what she is going through! I think Anna and she will become close friends and it is something they will both benefit from since Anna has none. It may improve Lauren's health as well.
Looks like Chris has more work to do since Anna will be moving soon! Better get those stalker shoes on :D I don't want him to lose her! Can't wait to see them together again! They will make a great couple :D
Chris does not give up easily and I love that! A man that puts in the effort is definitely worth the time!
ReplyDeleteHopefully this job as a nanny will be the step Anna needs to get her life back.
Is it back that I want to choke slam Shauna? I just don't get a good feeling off of her.
Qui
ReplyDeleteDefinitely, Chris is pursuing Anna and this must be very good for her ego.
No. I don’t think it’s bad that you want to choke Shauna. I figured some people would dislike her more and others would change their first impressions of her. It can go both ways – you can either interpret it as Shauna looking down her nose at Annabella or that she was just trying to help her out. There will be a lot more on these two later – sparks will fly, that I promise.
DJ
LMAO at your comments.
You really really really hate Shauna! I’m actually not surprised. While I wrote this I thought – DJ will probably hate Shauna even more now – once you make up your mind about someone you’re not easily swayed, are you?
Chris is a great guy – I would love to see more of him and Anna, but you know how it is ……
I like Lauren too. It is sad that mothers like her are unable to have tons of children and others like Annabella’s mom treats their children like crap. It’s very sad.
Daisies,
Chris is so cool – I love looking into those blue eyes of his
I’m happy to see that Shauna at least has a few people on her side. Shauna is very professional and it would have been unprofessional of her to hire Annabella with her lack of experience. She offered to help her out – while she really didn’t have to.
Little Adriano is so cute – he sings to his patchy doll – I could just eat him up!
Jazen,
Yay, another Shauna-friendly. I like her. Maybe it’s just because I know what is going to happen to her ……
Chris is such a flirt – Annabella needs a little lightheartedness in her life.
Val,
Your comment really lifted my spirits yesterday – I really needed this. This is probably the nicest comment ever and I could never get tired of hearing such nice things. Thank you!
I see you also interpreted the other way – the friendly way – Shauna helping Annabella instead of looking down her nose at Annabella.
However, I anticipated some might interpret it the other way …. It’s all part of the plan.
LOL I know. I you give your readers a little taste of SA, so I thought I’d also throw in a couple of proudly SA brands too – see, I learn from the best.
She got this job just in time, now she won't have to worry about the rent. I hope everything works out and I am looking forward to reading about her date with Chris.
ReplyDeleteHello. I would like to send you a little TS3 gift but I do not know what your account is at that site. Here is my page, please friend me if you feel inclined and post a note to my page:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thesims3.com/mypage/seaweedy